McKinney Vento Homeless Services
McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act
Subtitle B of Title VII of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11431 et seq.) is included in No Child Left Behind as Title X-C. The December 2015 reauthorization by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requires that children and youths experiencing homelessness are immediately enrolled in school and have educational opportunities equal to those of their non-homeless peers. The statute requires every public school district and charter holder to designate a Homeless Liaison to ensure that homeless students are identified and their needs are being met. (Arizona Department of Education)
Definition of Homelessness under McKinney-Vento
If you have experienced a loss of housing and/or economic hardship, that results in you living in a shelter, motel, vehicle or campground, on the street, in abandoned buildings or trailers or other inadequate accommodations, or doubled up with relatives or friends because you cannot find or afford housing, or qualified as migratory children or youth who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described, then according to the McKinney-Vento Act, you may qualify for services.
- Eligible students must be given access to the same public education provided to other students.
- May be able to continue in the school they attended before becoming homeless or the school they last attended.
- May be eligible to receive transportation to the school they attended before they became homeless or the school they last attended.
- Immediate enrollment
- Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.
Educational Assistance under McKinney-Vento
If your family lives in any of the above conditions, you may be eligible for some assistance under the McKinney-Vento Act. Our McKinney-Vento Liaison can assist in determining your eligibility for our programs:
McKinney-Vento Resource Liaison
State Coordinator of Homeless Education